Detroit’s Oldest Restaurants
(page 2 of 4)
> Holly Hotel
110 Battle Alley, Holly; hollyhotel.com.
The hotel, opened in 1891, has been recognized for its Queen Anne revival architecture, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The structure no longer accepts overnight guests. Among the featured item on the dinner menus, which are printed daily, is the popular chicken strudel. Its onion soup was featured in Gourmet in the 1980s.
> Jacoby’s German Biergarten
624 Brush St., Detroit; jacobysbar.com.
Since 1904, this German establishment has been serving schnitzels to metro Detroiters. Libations include an impressive list of German, Belgian, and other imported beers.
885 North Opdyke Rd., Auburn Hills; lellisrestaurant.com.
Although the original Woodward location, which was opened in 1939, burned down in 2000, Lelli’s northeast Italian cuisine endures in Auburn Hills. They serve several popular veal dishes, but their claim to fame remains the filet mignon with zip sauce.
> Ivanhoe Café (the Polish Yacht Club)
5249 Joseph Campau, Detroit; ivanhoecafe-pyc.com.
In operation since 1909, the Ivanhoe celebrated its centennial while under the name of its founder: Grendzinski. Favorites in this casual Polish bar include the pan-fried perch and walleye, which are cooked to order.
> Janet’s Lunch,
15033 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe Park; 313-331-5776.
Contrary to its name, this counter-and-stool mainstay in Grosse Pointe Park’s “Cabbage Patch” neighborhood also serves breakfast and dinner. The best-selling dish at this busy spot, which opened in 1938, is the hot-turkey plate — and the meat is not from a turkey roll.
> Mario’s Restaurant
4222 Second, Detroit; mariosdetroit.com
Opened in 1948, this Detroit establishment maintains its old-school charm. The signature filet with Mario’s zip sauce is a favorite, and has been on the menu from the start.