We’ve Got Mail...
Praise us or pan us, but just put it down in words. Bravos or boos, we want to hear from you.
We really enjoyed Richard Bak’s article about his father’s adventures in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) [March 2010, “A Generation of Happy Campers”]. We showed it to our father, who remembered his father working for the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to support his family. Stories like this bring back great memories, and this is why we love Hour Detroit. Thank you, and keep ’em coming.
— Dave and Lori Nelson, Wayne
More loco ideas for your “Foolish Ideas” list
1. The suburbs bailing out from the original
regional mass-transit plan that included feeder-rail or monorail lines connecting to the People Mover.
2. Not consolidating some projects into the old
magnificent Hudson’s building downtown, such as locating Compuware in the south section, the Great Lakes Crossing outlet mall that’s in Clarkston into the central section, and a grand museum or indoor attractions or condos and office space in the northern third.
3. Not relocating the State Fair to Belle Isle.
4. Not converting the State Fairgrounds into a
green village with a huge urban farm, a mega geothermal plant in the coliseum building to preserve the historic exterior, and using the profits from the sale of the grounds to bolster Belle Isle.
5. Not locating the present Comerica Park/Ford
Field complex at the Tiger Stadium site.
6. Not extending the People Mover to
Mexicantown and Eastern Market.
7. Not expanding the Heidelberg Project to
include an art school, restaurants, and community gardens.
8. Not locating the MotorCity Casino in the
old train station.
9. Not creating an African Village along the
lines of the old Greektown and Mexicantown.
10. Not moving the Motown Museum to Hart
Plaza and converting the Ford Auditorium to the Michigan Performing Arts Museum.
11. Not renewing negotiations with Magic
Johnson to build his movie theaters in the Foxtown area.
— Rand Moorhead, Hamtramck and St. Petersburg, Fla.