Trusted Advisors: Q&A


Special Advertising Section

When you need advice, where do you turn? Of course, family and friends are often the first people you go to, but what if you need advice on getting a divorce? Family and friends are likely to be the last people to talk to until you’ve formulated a plan. Divorce isn’t something entered into lightly, and the last thing you need is secondhand advice. When it comes to divorce you need a trusted adviser — someone who knows the law, knows your rights, and can steer clear of pitfalls and potential hazards, helping you prepare and protect yourself.

The same is true for needing a trusted adviser when things go wrong, such as an injury in an accident, or flood or fire damage. Without knowing your rights, you could lose potentially thousands of dollars by accepting too little of what an insurance company is offering. Hiring the right attorney can make all the difference — from getting the best for you and your family, to getting paid what you deserve in the case of an accident.

On the following pages, Hour Detroit presents several attorneys and leaders in business who are considered by many to be their trusted advisers. With their highly respected skills and knowledge, perhaps they will become yours, as well.


Hohauser Kuchon

Q: I was injured as a result of an automobile accident caused by another person. What are my rights?

A: Under the Michigan No-Fault Act, a person injured in an automobile accident has two potential claims. The first, which is generally payable by the injured person’s insurance carrier without regard to who caused the accident, is known as a first-party claim or no-fault PIP claim. The PIP claim provides four types of benefits: (1) allowable expenses payable for life for the injured person’s “care, recovery and rehabilitation,”; (2) wage loss benefits payable at a rate of 85 percent of the injured person’s gross wage for up to three years; (3) replacement services payable at $20 per day for a period of up to three years; and (4) survivor loss benefits payable in the event of death.

The second claim, known as a third-party claim, is a claim against the at-fault driver or vehicle for the injured person’s pain and suffering and excess economic loss. The No-Fault Act has certain notice requirements and limitations. Failure to meet these requirements and limitations can result in a loss of benefits. If you or a loved one has been injured in an automobile accident and you have questions about your rights, you should contact an attorney who specializes in injury law.

Hohauser Kuchon
Sarah Kuchon
Injury Law
363 W. Big Beaver Rd., Ste. 250
Troy, MI 48084
P: 248-619-0700

Bashore Green & Wix Law Group

Q: Why is it important to use a legal team that has many areas of expertise?

A: Areas of legal dispute often overlap — such as commercial litigation, real estate, and construction law — so it’s important to have a team with a wide range of legal expertise to help clients make the best legal decisions during some of the most challenging times in their lives. A legal team should be able to provide its clients with personal attention and assertive representation. Since no two clients or cases are the same, providing individualized counsel and representation in order to work to achieve the best results possible should always be the goal.

That may mean focusing on suing auto insurance companies for their unreasonable denials and not paying medical providers for treatment rendered to their patients stemming from motor vehicle accidents. Or it could be a high-profile entertainer or an injured employee looking for justice. A firm with knowledge and experience can represent each client with care and tenacity.

A firm that has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlement its clients, and prides itself on gaining financial protection for individuals who have suffered injuries due to the negligent or wrongful actions of another individual, company, or government, is a firm that will work for you.

Bashore Green Wix
Law Group
Kevin S. Green
Diamond Office Plaza
49100 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Twp., MI 48317
                               P: 586-803-0500

Abood Law Firm

Q: Can I move out of state to start my life with my fiancé if I am the custodial parent?

A: Today, strong, healthy, and committed relationships can occur over great distances; perhaps you’ve reconnected with a high school sweetheart or met the perfect person on social media. In Michigan, a custodial parent cannot move more than 100 miles away with their children without consent or permission from the court. That said, the Abood Law Firm has been successful in bringing about resolution for healthy long-distance relationships. After all, love has no boundaries. When a court is forced to make the difficult decision of allowing one parent to move a great distance with their children, it’s imperative to have a knowledgeable and experienced legal team on your side. In assessing whether the move is in the best interest of the minor children, the court is required to focus on certain criteria and factors. For the party seeking to relocate, he or she has the burden of establishing that the change in location is in the best interest of the minor children. The right legal team will prepare and present relevant evidence to the court in a way that focuses on the issues required to meet the threshold. Recently, we represented a client who wanted to seek permission from the court to move to Texas with her children, so she could be with her fiancé. In that case, our firm made sure the court was attuned to the factors required to be assessed, limited the arguments presented to those factors, and convinced the court that the best interest of the children was to be in Texas with their mother. As a result, our client was granted permission to move out of state with her children. Now, that’s a love story!

Abood Law Firm
Jeffrey Lance Abood
Divorce Law
470 N. Old Woodward Ave. Ste. 250
Birmingham, MI 48009
P: 248-549-0000

Law Offices of Armene Kaye, P.C.

Q: Should I contact an attorney if my insurance company has denied coverage for a fire loss or water damage claim?

A: Insurance companies often deny fire loss and water damage claims. Homeowners might accept that as their fate if they don’t know their options. The right attorney, however, will not take no for an answer. This can mean the difference between getting nothing or receiving the tens of thousands that you deserve. An attorney can also obtain the replacement cost versus depreciated value, which gets you the maximum amount — even if you don’t replace your possessions. When disaster strikes your home or business, the right answer is to contact an attorney who isn’t afraid to take on the insurance industry. To make an informed decision, call Armene Kaye and take advantage of a free insurance claim assessment.

Law Offices of Armene Kaye, P.C.
Armene Kaye, Esq.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2900 Bel Aire Dr., Ste. 200
Highland, MI 48357-4104
                               P: 248-496-9500

Cindy Obron Kahn

Q: How do you best position a property for a competitive sale?

A: First, price it right. Properties priced properly sell well, while those that are priced too high tend to sit on the market for too long. Properties priced below market, meanwhile, often result in multiple bids or even a bidding war. Develop the right pricing strategy through defensible comparable sales data.

Second, present the property at its best.  Clean it, remove clutter, de-personalize the space, and stage it if necessary. Good first impressions are critical. Don’t rely on the imagination of the buyer to sell a home.

Third, make it easy to sell. Enable showings. Respond to questions quickly.  Prepare to negotiate. Be ready to move. Assemble the right team. Find experienced brokers, lawyers, cleaners, carpenters, stagers, and movers. They should work well together and work well with you. Finally, take the emotion out of it. It’s a business transaction. Work with the buyer, not against them. With these simple strategies, your property will sell in no time.

Cindy Obron Kahn
Top Producer 2008-2015
Hall & Hunter Realtors
442 S. Old Woodward Ave.
Birmingham, MI  48009
P: 248-644-3500
                               C: 248-568-7309

Star Lincoln Southfield

Q: Why should I buy or lease my Lincoln from Bill Bournias?

A: People, ideas, and time are our greatest assets. Most people can buy or lease their new Lincoln from any certified Lincoln dealership, but the reason for committing to Star Lincoln and Bill Bournias is that people buy from people they can relate to. At Star Lincoln, we have deep roots servicing people for more than 40 years, and Bill has been making connections with people and servicing the automotive industry as a manufacturer and retailer for 25 years. He understands his customers’ needs, and has a deep understanding of the history of the “Hoot” McInerney family. He’s accustomed to giving customers the luxury experience, and listens to their needs and wants. If there are hurdles, Star Lincoln has the resources to develop ideas and options to help customers make the right decision. Bill looks at solutions, not the problem, and he values your time. He makes the luxury buying experience productive, informative, and financially beneficial. Visit Star Lincoln to experience the 2016 and 2017 Lincolns and the new Continental, due out soon.

Star Lincoln Southfield
Bill Bournias
24350 W. 12 Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48034
P: 248-354-4900

Michael B. Serling P.C.

Q: I’m starting to experience complications from transvaginal mesh surgery. My symptoms are mild. Should I consult with an attorney now, or wait until they get worse?

A: Any woman who has had a transvaginal mesh surgery and is now suffering compli- cations, no matter how mild, is urged to contact us right away. Timing is crucial when it comes to seeking legal representation in defective medical device litigation.

Over time, injuries such as mesh erosion can become much more serious and may require several surgeries to correct. The litigation involving transvaginal mesh is beginning to settle in several jurisdictions. If you have suffered mesh erosion after having a transvaginal mesh implanted, don’t hesitate to contact us for a free, confidential review.

Michael B. Serling P.C.
280 N. Old Woodward Ave., Ste. 406
Birmingham, MI 48009
P: 800-995-6991
P: 248-647-6966


Edit Module
Edit Module Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Most Popular

  1. The Makings of the Shinola Hotel
    When the Detroit brand’s first foray into hospitality opens its doors, it’ll offer customers...
  2. My Two Christmases
    An Armenian-Iranian, Detroit-based writer reflects on transposing the holiday across continents
  3. New Year’s Eve, Brooklyn Style
    Tips for celebrating 2019 from the pros at Brooklyn Outdoor
  4. Main Review: SheWolf
    Born in Detroit but inspired by Rome, SheWolf takes diners on a culinary journey
  5. The Art of Gifting
    Metro Detroit tastemakers from all walks of life offer a glimpse of what’s on their holiday...
  6. Comeback Catering
    Dish, in Detroit, pushes through hard times with consistently delicious food
  7. Meet the Makers: Tait Design Co.
    How an after-work hobby ascended to a booming business
  8. Precious Metals
    Layering necklaces, stacking rings, and placing bangle upon glitzy bangle: a definitive guide to...
  9. Food Recipe: Braised Beef Brisket
    Chef Aaron Lowen, of Empire Kitchen & Cocktails, shares one of his favorite holiday recipes
  10. An Hour with ... Ricki Friedman
    Founder, Break the Weight