Webster Hall, 1950

THE WAY IT WAS


Published:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1950

 

 

Many former Wayne State University students fondly recall Mackenzie (formerly Webster) Hall, a campus landmark on the southeast corner of Cass and Putnam. Here, students hurry to and from classes in the bustling area. The structure opened in early 1925 as an 800-room luxury men’s residence called Hotel Webster Hall, named after Judge Clyde I. Webster. Vintage postcards reveal that the 12-story edifice featured a large coffee shop seating 400, a writing room, and reception space. In addition to sculptural flourishes by Corrado Parducci, the lavish pool in the basement with colorful tiles adorned with mermaids and fish was another bragging point. During the playing season in the 1930s, the Detroit Lions team lived at Webster Hall. In 1946, Wayne University (it didn’t become a state university until 1956) bought the building and used it as a dormitory and student center. Later, Webster Hall — which was renamed Mackenzie Hall in 1961, after the school’s founder, David Mackenzie — housed faculty offices. Even after a new student center opened in 1969, students and faculty packed Mackenzie Hall’s cafeteria. The grand old building was imploded on a Sunday morning in 1991, making way for a not-so-grand parking structure.


If you enjoy the monthly content in Hour Detroit, "Like" us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter for more frequent updates.

Edit Module
Edit Module Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Related Content

The Way It Was

Henry Ford’s First Car

Throughout 2017, we explore Detroit’s history with 12 artifacts — starting with an invention that forever changed the city

Candy Cane or Coal?

The Hour Detroit staff hands out annual gifts to those newsmakers who have been nice … and those who have been naughty. See who’s on our list this year.

Hometown Hero

How metro Detroit native Dylan Larkin became the Red Wings’ next great hope

Luke Cage Star Simone Missick Talks Detroit Upbringing

Before she was Misty Knight, actress was a classical musician and track athlete at Renaissance High School
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Most Popular