Community

kate walsh hour detroit

Editor’s Letter: Best of Detroit 2023

I went to an event recently where someone asked me, “Is working for Hour Detroit as fun as it seems?”While I paused for about...

Real Estate All-Stars 2023

For Hour Detroit’s Real Estate All-Stars 2022, we commissioned Professional Research Services (PRS) to conduct a survey of all metro Detroit brokers and agents, to determine the top agents and mortgage professionals in the area.

Mental Health Co-responders are Becoming a Part of Michigan Policing

When Hillary Nusbaum is asked why she wanted to be a co-responder clinician working alongside police officers, she says one of the words that resonated...

Michigan High School Students Win Prizes in C-SPAN Documentary Competition

Each year, C-SPAN launches their annual StudentCam documentary competition. This competition encourages students across the country to explore topics that are currently in the...

An Interview with Charlie LeDuff

Charle LeDuff and I are in the studio he fashioned with his own bare hands out of the attic of American Coney Island in...
kate walsh hour detroit

Editor’s Letter: Top Towns 2023 and Advice on Buying a House

The best piece of advice I received when I was house hunting for my family of three 20-something years ago was “Go to the...

Top Towns 2023

To call the recent ups and downs in metro Detroit’s residential real estate market a “wild ride” is an understatement, says Oakland County Realtor...

What Was Said in Troy When the Governor Came to Town

Renewable energy, manufacturing jobs and the future of Michigan were major points of discussion at a Troy Chamber of Commerce’s “Your City, County, State...
Elmwood cemetery

A Who’s Who From Elmwood Cemetery

Elizabeth Denison Forth, Rosa Slade Gragg, and Coleman A. Young are among the notable figures at Detroit elite’s resting place of choice

Visit These Weed-Friendly Outdoor Destinations in Michigan

Some things just go better together. After months of staring at dismal gray skies, many of us are more than ready to get outside...

This Lansing Native is Now a Respected Celebrity Photographer

When Kathy Hutchins was growing up in Lansing, she would attend Detroit Tigers games whenever she could when the Boston Red Sox — her...

A New Kind Of High Life: Cannabis-Infused Drinks

When marijuana products became legal for recreational purchase and consumption in Michigan in 2018, a new opportunity opened up for creative entrepreneurs and bartenders:...
kate walsh hour detroit

Editor’s Letter: The 2023 City Guide and Diana Lewis

The first thing that struck me when I drove to meet photographer and Emmy-winning filmmaker Stephen McGee for a scouting trip for this year’s...

Eighty Years Strong: Diana Lewis Talks Life After Retirement

The humidity comes as a surprise. But then, so does sitting poolside in the middle of a Michigan winter. Diana Lewis is at home...

City Guide 2023: Documenting Detroit, Becoming a Detroiter

To me, Detroit is the Paris of the ’20s, the Berlin of the ’80s, the San Francisco of the ’60s. The neighborhoods teem with...

The New York Times Wordle Editor From Michigan

Though Tracey Bennett calls Ann Arbor home, her life took on a “We’re not in Kansas anymore” vibe on Nov. 7, 2022 — the...

How a New Sustainable-Practices Initiative is Transforming Michigan’s Fishing Industry

One chilly morning last September, chef Doug Hewitt of Chartreuse Kitchen & Cocktails welcomed guests to the restaurant for appetizers of fish — belly, eggs,...

Jemele Hill Discusses Her Career, Controversies, and Her Memoir

Journalist Jemele Hill grew up in Detroit loving comic books, video games, early-’90s hip-hop, and storytelling. Before bathing in the bright lights at ESPN...

Detroit Riverwalk, Campus Martius, and DIA Win USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards

USA Today has begun revealing the winners of their annual 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards — an annual contest that ranks destinations around the country by...
Michigan State University

Updates on the Michigan State University Shooting

Three Michigan State University students are dead and five more are injured after an active shooter opened fire inside of Berkey Hall on the...

NEWSLETTERS

FOLLOW US

65,000FansLike
80,000FollowersFollow
75,000FollowersFollow

FROM OUR PARTNERS