The lovable geek on your list will get a charge out of these digital products and accessories
2. Jambox wireless speakers, $199, at Jawbone speakers; jawbone.com.
3. iPad case by Gucci, $295, at Gucci, Somerset Collection South, Troy; 248-643-6360.
4. Lego Mindstorm Robotic Kit, $280, at The Robot Garage, Birmingham; 248-723-9100, therobotgarage.com.
5. Earbuds by DCI, $12.50, and DCI speaker Lollipops, $9.50, at Write Impressions, Royal Oak; 248-541-8921, writeimpressions-mi.com.
6. Lomography Diana F+ Daybreak camera, $44.99, at area Urban Outfitters stores; urbanoutfitters.com.
7. Steve Jobs, a biography by Walter Isaacson (Simon & Schuster, $35), at area booksellers or amazon.com.
8. iVictrola, $798, at Anthropologie, online exclusive; anthropologie.com.
Photograph #2 courtesy of Jawbone; Photograph #3 courtesy of Gucci; Photograph #4 courtesy of Lego; Photograph #8 courtesy of Anthropologie
Food & Drink
For those with good taste, and those who like things that taste good, a pantry full of possibilities
- Hoot kids’ apron, $16, at Shine, Royal Oak; 248-414-5277.
2. Vino Tagz, $15, at Shine, Royal Oak; 248-414-5277.
3. Graffiti cocktail shaker, $24, at Scout, Royal Oak; 248-548-1065.
4. Zoku Quick Pop maker, $49.95, and Zoku Quick Pop recipe book, $16.95, at area Sur La Table stores; surlatable.com. Ice pop syrup, $14.95, and characters set, $14.95, at area Williams-Sonoma stores; williams-sonoma.com.
5. Dragonwell organic tea, $38, Siam Basil Lemongrass organic tea, $34, and Jasmine Silver Needles, $40, by Bellocq Tea Atelier, at Woodward and Maple, Birmingham; 248-258-2848. Tea Forte tea mug, $12.50, at Write Impressions, Royal Oak; 248-541-8921, writeimpressions-mi.com.
6. Nambé wine rack, $225, at area Macy’s stores; macys.com.
7. The Personal Pie Maker by Breville, $99.95, at area Williams-Sonoma stores; williams-sonoma.com.
8. Branch bit stopper, $14, at Anthropologie, online exclusive; anthropologie.com.
9. Chéri, $19, and Merci, $19, lunch containers, at Scout, Royal Oak; 248-548-1065. Zippee lunch tote, $20.95, at Write Impressions, Royal Oak; 248-541-8921, writeimpressions-mi.com.
Photograph #8 courtesy of Anthropologie
Volumes by local authors or about Detroit subjects are destined for a long shelf life
- Robert Wilbert: Ennobling the Ordinary, edited by Gere Baskin, photographs by Dirk Bakker (Wayne State University Press, $50), through area booksellers and amazon.com.
2. Joe Muer’s Classics: Traditional Recipes from Detroit’s Famed Seafood Restaurant ($35), at Joe Muer Seafood, Detroit; 313-567-6837, joemuerseafood.com.
3. Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football, by John U. Bacon (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, $28), through area booksellers and amazon.com.
4. Once Upon a Car: The Fall and Resurrection of America’s Big Three automakers — GM, Ford, and Chrysler, (William Morrow, $26.99), by Bill Vlasic, through area booksellers and amazon.com.
5. The Big Jump: Lindberg and the Great Atlantic Air Race, by Richard Bak (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., $27.95), through area booksellers and amazon.com.
6. Jacobson’s: I Miss It So! (The Story of a Michigan Fashion Institution), by Bruce Allen Kopytek (The History Press, $19.99), through area booksellers and amazon.com.
7. Vegetarian Traditions: Favorite Recipes From My Years at the Legendary Inn Season Café, by George Vutetakis. $29.99, locally at Inn Season Café, Royal Oak; The Book Beat, Oak Park. Also: thevegetarianguy.com (for signed copies).
8. The Marriage Plot, by Jeffrey Eugenides (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, $28), at area booksellers and amazon.com.
Photograph #3 courtesy of Farrar, Straus and Giroux; Photograph #6 courtesy of the History Press; Photograph #8 courtesy of Farrar, Straus and Giroux
For the man or woman of the hour, clocks and watches that are up to the minute in style
- Owl clock, $78, at Scout, Royal Oak; 248-548-1065.
2. Tesoro watch, $5,000, at Tiffany & Co., Somerset Collection South, Troy; 248-637-2800, tiffanyandco.com.
3. Hermès watch with diamond bezel and dial, $11,850, at area Tapper’s Diamonds and Fine Jewelry stores; tappers.com.
4. Corum Admiral’s Cup Legend with charcoal dial in stainless steel watch, $4,200, at Greis Jewelers, Farmington Hills; 248-855-1730.
5. Dolomite alarm clock by Newgate, $55, at Shine, Royal Oak; 248-414-5277.
6. Jonathan Adler elephant clock, $98, at Scout, Royal Oak; 248-548-1065.
7. Garbella clock, $35, at City Bird, Detroit; 313-831-9146, ilovecitybird.com.
8. Patek Philippe watch with a classic column-wheel chronograph movement in a yellow gold case, $84,900, at Ahee Jewelers, Grosse Pointe Woods; 313-886-4600, ahee.com.
9. Alessi Blow Up Wall Clock, $254.95, at Artloft, Birmingham; 248-647-4007, artloftonline.co
Photograph #2 courtesy of Tiffany & Co.; Photograph #3 courtesy of Tapper’s Diamonds and Fine Jewelry; Photograph #4 courtesy of Greis Jewelers; Photograph #8 courtesy of Ahee Jewelers; Photograph #9 courtesy of Alessi
Play up to the young ones on your list with items that will give them hours of fun
1. St. Louis matchbox, $27.50, and The P. Rak Match Factory critters, $32, at Woodward & Maple, Birmingham; 248-258-2848.
2. Trunki (pack, ride, and pull-along) suitcase, $39.99, at Village Toy Company, Grosse Pointe; 313-882-1300, villagetoycompany.com.
3. Yellow Owl Workshop Cityscape stamp set, $30, at City Bird, Detroit; 313-831-9146, ilovecitybird.com.
4. Steam Engine workshop, $454.75, at Froggy’s Toy Stop, Rochester; 248-651-1511, froggystoys.com.
5. Découpages set, $15, at City Bird, Detroit; 313-831-9146, ilovecitybird.com.
6. Woodland memory game, $38, and puzzle, $14, by Dwell Studios, at The Italian Dish, Birmingham; 248-593-8299, theitaliandish.com.
7. Pool table set, $31.95, at Adventures In Toys, Birmingham; 248-646-5550.
8. Hook-and-ladder fire truck, $119.95, at Adventures In Toys, Birmingham; 248-646-5550.