Adding a well-balanced brew brings depth of flavor to Fenton Winery & Brewery’s Cheesy Ale Soup. Learn how to make the tasty dish use the recipe below.
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 cup onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 12 oz. Fenton Winery & Brewery Ignescent Amber Ale (can sub mildly hopped Amber available near you)
- 16 oz. vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 16 oz. heavy cream
- 3 cups cheddar, grated
- 3 cups smoked Gouda, grated
- Roughly chop the carrots, celery, and onion, and blend until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, over medium heat, and cook the pureed vegetables for 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly add flour while whisking constantly and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add Amber Ale, vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, sugar, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Whisk until fully incorporated. Add heavy cream and return the mixture to a simmer.
- Once it starts bubbling, add cheddar and Gouda, whisking constantly until fully melted.
The soup should have an overall smooth overall consistency. Serve with BLTs for dipping, or enjoy solo, sprinkled with cheese and pretzel bits for added texture. This recipe yields approximately 12 servings
Fenton Wintery & Brewery is located at 1370 N. Long Lake Road, Fenton. Call 810-373-4194 or visit fentonbrewery.com for more information — and be sure to check out HourDetroit.com for even more recipes including Prime 29 Steakhouse’s Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes and The Morrie’s French Onion Dumplings.
This story is originally from the April 2022 issue of Hour Detroit. It has been updated for 2023. Read more in our digital edition.