Northville’s Mithai & Chai offers traditional Indian recipes with a healthy twist including naan paninis, hot and cold tandoori chicken wraps, chicken biryani, and several kinds of soup including a lentil soup that you can make at home with this easy-to-follow recipe.
- 1 cup split lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup cooked rice
- Wash the lentils in a sieve under running water. Transfer to a bowl, cover with water, and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring the water and oil to a boil. Add in the soaked lentils and all of the spices. Turn the heat down to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, saute onion, tomato, and ginger garlic paste in a separate pan. Add this mixture along with the cooked rice to the soup.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly. If the soup becomes too thick, add in half a cup of water at a time, stirring constantly, until the soup thins out.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro.
This story is from the September 2023 issue of Hour Detroit magazine. Read more in our digital edition. Plus, find even more drink recipes from area restaurants including The Morrie’s French Onion Dumplings and Fenton Winery & Brewery’s Cheesy Ale Soup at HourDetroit.com.