Sylvan Lake’s Sylvan Table offers American Cuisine that’s made with fresh ingredients grown on their farm, along with housemade cocktails. Dinner menu items Siscowet Trout Fillet, New York Strip, Roast Summer Squash, and this delicious dessert.
Make Sylvan Table’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie & Salted Vanilla Ice Cream at home with this handy recipe.
Salted Vanilla Ice Cream
(makes 1 quart; requires an ice cream maker)
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons glucose powder
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- Ice Cream
Follow the setup instructions for your ice cream maker.
- Combine milk, cream, and vanilla paste in a pot and bring them to a simmer on the stove top.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, glucose powder, milk powder, and salt, then add the mixture into the simmering milk.
- Bring it to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks together, then slowly add the hot milk mixture, whisking all the time (this is called “tempering” the eggs). The egg mixture should reach about 183 F (84 C).
- Strain the mixture into a bowl through a very fine sieve (“chinois”), and allow it to cool.
- Add it to the ice cream maker to churn and freeze.
- Store it frozen.
This story is from the July 2023 issue of Hour Detroit magazine. Read more in our digital edition, and be sure to visit HourDetroit.com for even more recipes including Babo Detroit’s Lemon Ricotta Pancakes and Avalon Detroit’s Vegan Blueberry Muffin Granola.