Bill Osborn, of Dylan’s Raw Bar & Grille in Grosse Pointe Park, offers this recipe as a simple and delicious addition to holiday party hors d’oeuvres.
> Napoleon Bruschetta
(Serves 10; 20-24 pieces)
1 loaf French baguette
1 1/2 pound sliced smoked salmon
1 pound thinly sliced dill Havarti
1 small can sliced black olives
1 small jar large capers
1-2 lemons for zest
> Napoleon Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1/8 cup finely chopped chives
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 hard boiled egg, finely minced
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Chill 1/2 hour before serving. If possible, put the sauce in a squeeze bottle or pastry bag to decorate the bruschetta pieces.
1. Brush French baguette with olive oil.
2. Ribbon the smoked salmon on top of the oiled bread; place on a cooking sheet.
3. Place the thinly sliced dill Havarti on top of the smoked salmon and bread.
4. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until Havarti is nicely melted (about 6-8 minutes).
5. Remove from oven and arrange on a platter.
6. Top each piece with 3 black olives.
7. Place an individual caper in the middle of each olive.
8. Ribbon the Napoleon sauce around the olive/caper.
9. Shave lemon zest on top of the bruschetta and serve.
Total prep time: 40 minutes.