Just in case you were starting to think that “good news” was a thing of the past, we wanted to let you know that over the past 12 months, amid COVID-19, partner support helped us provide:
- 103 families with gift cards between $250 and $500 to support the purchase of general household needs and PPE.
- 65 families with rental assistance to help them get caught up with or to prevent them from falling behind in rent.
- 42 families with utility assistance to keep their utilities on.
- 52 families with laptop computers to support student learning.
- 30 families with basic furniture (beds, dining tables and chairs or sofas) to support their health and well-being.
- 22 families with Lyft gift certificates or fuel gift certificates to help them with transportation needs.
- 12 families with assistance in purchasing necessary appliances (stoves, refrigerators and microwaves) to be able to prepare meals for their families.
All of this happened right here in Detroit and was made possible by you and other supporters who saw and understood the need and took action to help.
Through the coronavirus epidemic, COTS has continued to care for the most vulnerable in our community at increased costs. Your gift will help keep staff and families safe and Create Opportunities To Succeed!
The families we partner with at COTS come to us under all kinds of circumstances. Through job loss, family tragedy, divorce, substance abuse and other health problems, they find themselves out of luck and out of options.
But your generosity changes all that. You give hope where it’s needed most. With a commitment to change, positive attitudes and just plain old hard work, our families take advantage of the opportunities your dollars bring and they climb their way back to a life of independence and stability.
You put the good in goodwill.
The willingness of friends like you getting involved is the only good news some of our families have had in months or even years. Your dollars help break the cycle of poverty by providing vital support as these family members journey on the path to greater independence:
- Safe emergency shelter and affordable and long-term supportive housing for families
- Nutritious and healthy meals
- Health and well-being support
- Access to education, job training and career development support
- Childcare and child development services for parents
- Mobility mentoring and coaching
- Economic mobility and empowerment
Gifts can be made by visiting us online at cotsdetroit.org or by calling us at 313-576-0226. As we are all still in the midst of challenges presented by the pandemic, we don’t take your thoughtfulness or generosity for granted in any way. Your monetary donations guarantee that services that support the safety and stability of families will continue to be available.
No one can ever thank you enough for your kindness.
But, I hope you feel the gratitude. And when it’s safe to come for a visit, I invite you to come see us at COTS and meet the families whose lives you’re changing. I know they’d all like to say thank you in person.
Until then, I hope this news of all the good you are doing and all the people you are helping brightens your day.
With extra, extra gratitude,
Cheryl P. Johnson
Chief Executive Officer
P.S. This just in! Your help is needed urgently. Please visit cotsdetroit.org to give today!
2211 E. Jefferson Ave.
Detroit, MI 48207