Located in historic Corktown, Ima Izakaya’s offers a menu filled with sushi, pho, ramen soups, ahi tuna tartare, Japanese barbecue eggplant, and much more. Their drink menu includes beers, ciders, wine, mocktails, and craft cocktails including the Mezcal-based Pennyroyal.
Learn how to make this cocktail at home with this handy recipe.
- 1.5 ounces mezcal
- 1 ounce ume simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers Plum Bitters
- Hawaiian black lava sea salt, for rimming the glass
For the syrup:
- 8 ounces sugar, by weight
- 8 ounces water
- 75 grams ume (ume are Japanese plums that can be found in the refrigerated section of most Asian markets)
- For the syrup, separate the pits from the ume and use both. Mix together the water, sugar, and separated ume in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer, making sure to mash the fruit through to extract all of the flavor.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all the ingredients except for the salt. Add in ice and shake well.
- Rim a double rocks glass with the Hawaiian black lava salt and add fresh ice. Pour the cocktail over the ice and garnish with a slice of fresh lime and an ume plum on a skewer. Enjoy!
This story is from the January 2023 issue of Hour Detroit magazine. Read more in our digital edition.